Next AMA: On Product Management [with Shashank Mehta of Razorpay]

Hey all:
The next AMA is going to be all about Product Management - right from career to scaling into the #product-management role to understanding how companies evaluate product managers.

With: Shashank Mehta, Director of Product Strategy at Razorpay
When: Sep 5th, 8PM - 9 PM (Thursday and not Wednesday )
Where: This thread itself.
Ask Shashank Mehta anything on Product Management, defining product strategy, roadmapping and scaling into the PM role.

1 Like

Hey Shashank. Welcome to the AMA.
How does Razorpay defines product roadmaps? As head of product strategy, what framework do you use to decide on the roadmap?

What are you thought’s on opening up short term and long term roadmaps to customers?

1 Like

Given Razorpay’s scale, how do you evaluate new opportunities? Is there a framework?

1 Like

How do you hire product managers? do you use puzzles or …?

1 Like

Hi @shashankmehta I am an engineer with ~8 years of work experience. How do you think I should go about switching to a product manager function?

1 Like

What are the essential qualities you look for in product managers? I am really confused about the role, as there are many definitions and since Razorpay is more of a tech infra company, are requirements too technical?

Do you recommend using PRDs? Or user stories?

2 Likes

How did you get into product management? :slight_smile:

Hi Shashank, thanks for doing this. How would you define ‘Product Thinking’? And is it possible for Product Managers - young and old - to scale themselves on it?

2 Likes

How important do you think an education - of some kind - in the humanities is in Product Management? It seems to be highly regarded in the West, while in India, traditionally, it is not even seen as a relevant factor for companies when hiring.

1 Like

How is the prod org at Razorpay structured? Who reports to whom? Would love to know given that the founding team had very little experience working at big MNCs (i.e. no baggage).

What is your differentiation between Traditional PM and Growth PM?
Do you believe every PM should now be a Growth PM?

1 Like

What is your advice on transitioning from Marketing to Growth Product Management?
What key skills or abilities do you think a “Product Manager” should have?

1 Like

How do you distribute PM responsibilities at Razorpay?
Is it based on features, whole product segments or customer funnels?

1 Like

According to you, what are the ideal few things a Product Manager should do at a new firm?

2 Likes

Razorpay recently went through a major upgrade process - from being just a PG to a fully-fledged fintech business. What are some of tough decisions, challenges (soft as well as hard) did the team go through?

When do you ‘fire’ a product manager? What are those criteria ? :slight_smile:

How has the product management function evolved at Razorpay - from the early days to the first 3 years…and now?

How have you evolved as a product leader - right from the early days to now? What skills have you learnt/let go of?

1 Like