'Eat What You Kill' : Why aren't you implementing this in your leadership teams?

Eat What You Kill
The one thing that really irks me about (OVERLY FUNDED) startup compensation is the insane/vague amount of money being paid to talent.

Apart from the fact that it kills creativity and sets the wrong culture (of mediocrity), it is bad for the economy as well. For e.g. now that recession is around the corner (or has already hit a few segments), most of these fellas are and will struggle to get a good job - have often seen how this leads to depression and suicide.

But that’s a diff story.

What I am trying to bring upon is more accountability and focus with ‘Eat What You Kill’ culture, especially in leadership teams (we are implementing and all of our hiring is based on this).

For e.g. if you are a marketer - apart from a standard CTC, why are you not enabling sales? And if you are enabling it, take commission as well (make A LOT more money).

And if you aren’t enabling sales, why do you even exist?

What are your thoughts on " ‘Eat What You Kill’" approach towards leadership compensation? Why are CEOs of startups being paid so handsomely, ensuring they have no long-term focus in creating a revenue business?

Why not eat-what-you-kill?
PS: ‘Eat What You Kill’ is an analogy - please don’t bring veg/non-veg related conversation here.

Interesting. What I would like to understand, in the contention that all job functions have the same direct and measurable impact on sales/revenue. First, what about start ups in the early phase, where the product or service is being set up? Is revenue being generated immediately? I would contend that you are strategizing and making decisions with long term impact, not selling right off the bat. Unless it’s a direct sales, business development and maybe we can extend this to marketing, where and how does the “commission” concept come in? Example, for a product manager, how do I measure performance w.r.t revenue generation? Example, what % of new sign ups are due to the amazing product experience vs. marketing choices?

I agree a balance is best, I’d say do an industry analysis and then come to a number as an organization that you want to adhere to, say X percentile. Some factors to consider - what you pay extra for is the inherent risk of the person in joining a nascent vs. well established organization. Comparing the two, earlier the value proposition used to be a small committed team, driven towards a common goal, but now, more and more larger companies try and adopt a mission driven approach as well. The success rate of start ups is notorious.

Finally regarding self harm and not getting a good job - would be great to see some statistics on this. Including the correlation of well paying job in start ups->not getting a job during recession->self harm? Also, when you say good job, do you essentially mean the monetary aspect?

Do let me know your thoughts!

1 Like

Agree with you on this being a bit generic - but once the company is stable (revenue wise), I believe all the customer facing roles (marketing / sales and support) need to be tied to revenue.

This might put a pressure on product / engg teams - but if you leave them out of the revenue purview, atleast bring more accountability to the other roles.

For e.g. most of digital marketers I have spoken to lately are severely overpaid. Person with just 1-2 years of work ex is getting ~9 L, and all he/she is doing is a very small backend marketing work. This does sets in a wrong sense of entitlement - it is working well because of funding scenario in the country, but I believe the correction is just around the corner - so maybe, we will have some data points :slight_smile:

I completely agree on the sales enablement part on the marketers. In my opinion, all marketers (esp product marketers) must think like a business person - in this case, the CEO. Marketers should take ownership of the product/service they own. They must own! Otherwise, their roles will end up being merely ‘tactical’ - “Look, I did this and got this many leads. It’s up to the sales and product teams to bring them to wins”. This, I think, is where the salary-worth comparisons are made. Product marketing is an end-to-end function - not just bring in leads, do webinars or execute campaigns. They must be there throughout the entire customer journey.

Having said that, I’ve come across very few companies that understand/empower marketers. Many companies that still see marketing as a ‘cost’ function. Because, they’re not able to tie in the role to broader objectives - rather quite myopic in role requirements and delivery. This is mostly why some are obscenely paid.

1 Like

well said! product marketers behave like digital marketers, who think they are product managers.