AMA: Arpit Rai on SAAS Product Management and Growth

Fellas:
Happy to announce the next AMA.
With: Arpit Rai, VP (Product), WebEngage (and has earlier worked with Browserstack).
When: Aug 28th (Wed), 8 - 9 PM
Where: This thread itself
Ask Arpit anything on Product Management and SAAS Growth (retention/churn etc).
Format: One question / reply.

1 Like

What’s the difference between product management in SAAS and B2C?

3 Likes

How did you get into product management?

1 Like

Which is more exciting - b2b or b2c and why?

2 Likes

How do I get a break into doing product management?

1 Like

I’m helping a client solve a customer retention problem by helping them identify leading indicators of churn for their software product. Any frameworks I can leverage?

3 Likes

How did BrowserStack became so successful in a short time?

2 Likes

How do I stay ahead of the curve in my industry for new feature development?

2 Likes

Any pointers on conducting customer meetings?

2 Likes

How is the product experience at WebEngage different from BrowserStack?

2 Likes

What growth hacks did BrowserStack use

1 Like

Any thoughts on SaaS sector in India?

2 Likes

Can you talk about the core skills needed as a PM?

1 Like

I loved your blog post on product roadmap. Where did you find this model? Is this how you guys build product at WebEngage?

1 Like

How do you effectively allocate resources for user growth or how do you accurately determine total cost per acquisition for each channel?

1 Like

How do you decide success of a feature or improvement?

What are the typical documents that a PM at Webengage is expected to produce?

1 Like

Any thoughts on how to organise PMs? Should they be oriented on basis of product area/customer journey/business goals?

How is this achieved at Webengage?

1 Like

Hey all: we will start in 2 mins. Feel free to share about the AMA within your social handles - and help us reach a lot of SAAS product managers/founders.

To be honest, I haven’t worked in the B2C sector. I’m guessing the fundamentals of product management remain the same for both.

Following are some of the differences I can think of:

1. Customer Research: B2B/SaaS PMs tend to speak with customers a LOT more than B2C customers. In B2C, it is quite likely that you are an end user of your product (think PMs in Ola, Swiggy etc.). In B2B, you’re not always the primary user of your product. As such it is even more important to speak with customers in B2B/SaaS than in B2C.
  2. UI/UX: I think there’s a lot more focus on getting the UI/UX perfect in B2C than B2B/SaaS. It’s not like the UI/UX doesn’t matter at all in B2B/SaaS but you can build a great product/business with an average UI/UX in B2B/SaaS.
  3. Quantitative Analysis: You’re likely do a LOT of quantitative analysis in B2C compared to B2B/SaaS. That’s just because you have so much data in B2C compared to B2B/SaaS. You could build a SaaS company that does $50 million in revenues even with a few hundred customers. Would quantitative analysis from data of a couple of hundred customers be enough to draw insights? Probably not.
  4. Feature Development: You’re likely to develop features in B2C that affect a majority of your customers. It can sometimes be a bit different in B2B/SaaS where even if 20% of your customers strongly want a feature, it is possible that you will consider developing this feature.

That said, a lot of B2B/SaaS companies (Dropbox, Mailchimp etc.) that focus on SMEs tend to behave a bit like B2C companies where UI/UX is important to them, there is good volume of customers etc.

2 Likes